College of Agriculture, SKRAU, Bikaner
Department of Plant Pathology, College of Agriculture, Bikaner came into existence since the establishment of College in 1988 with the specific objectives of developing skilled and efficient human resource in the field of Plant Pathology. The Department offers Under Graduate and Post Graduate programmes to generate quality human resource. The Department has got one UG, PG laboratories and a Mass Production Unit which cater to the needs of students for conducting practical and imparting identification skills for the respective programmes. The M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in the department started from 2000 and 2004, respectively. The Department also undertakes extension activities in collaboration with the Agricultural Research Station, Krishi Vigyan Kendra and imparts need based training to farmers and agricultural officers. Evolving strategies for management of Diseases of various crops viz., cereals, pulses, vegetables, fruits, oilseeds and estimation of fungicides residues for the farmer’s community of Rajasthan state have also been developed. Local isolates of various biocontrol agents are being identified for their utilization as potential agents to minimize/use of pesticides.
- UG and PG teaching
Mass production of bio agents through experiential learning
- Fungal Pathology
- Biological Control
- Disease Resistance
- Plant Virology
- Molecular Plant Pathology
Extension (Teachers are involved in extension activities in collaboration with KVK’s and ARS )
- Disease Diagnosis
- Kisan Melas/Diwas
- Master Trainer
- Survey and surveillance of major diseases of crops in the State for development of prediction models.
- Monitoring & forecasting of diseases, development of linkages in biosystematics with other projects for evolving suitable disease management strategies and effective diseases control measures.
- Monitoring and management of fungicides and antibiotics resistance in various diseases.
- Development and mass production of bio-agents.
- Development of integrated disease management technology for major diseases invivo and vitro.
- Eco friendly Disease management based on host plant resistance, behaviour modifying fungicides, plant products as well as purified plant product components.
- Residue analysis of fungicides in field crops as well as vegetables, Pulses and Fruits.
- Isolation, purification, identification and characterization of microbial agents and their mass production for plant diseases management.
- Molecular systematic for authentic various strain identification.
- Strengthening of lecture theatres for E-learning, laboratories for basic research and establishment of repository of natural bio-agents of crop diseases.
The major objectives of the Department is to maintain cultures of major pathogens as well as bio agents (local and other locations) and develop suitable technologies for minimizing the production losses caused by them. At present Division has focused its effort to develop Integrated Disease Management Technologies particularly for bio agents to minimise the soil borne diseases of the State.
- Survey, surveillance and identification of major plant diseases as well as specific bio-agents and to locate hot spot.
- Develop suitable components for IDM technologies
- Develop technologies based on bioagents to manage all epidemic and endemic diseases.
- Develop suitable technologies based on botanicals and organic products to manage diseases (seed, soil, and air borne diseases).
- Develop technologies to minimize hazardous effect on human health and environment pollution due to injudicious use of fungicides and antibiotics.
- Develop suitable mass production technologies for economically
important bio agents.
|Dr. Data Ram Kumhar||Professor & Head|
|Dr. A.K.Meena||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. Arjun Ram Yadav||Assistant Professor|
Infrastructure and other facilities
|Well established lab||Automated Centrifuged Machine|
|Good quality BOD||Computers|
|UV Spectrophotometer||Hot air oven|
|Laminar flow||Horizontal & vertical Autoclave|
|Computer attached research Microscopes||Electrical balance|
- Experimental farm having screen houses for pot or cage studies,
Research Priorities and Extension Activities
The Department is actively engaged in research and extension activities of its own and of ARS and KVK at Bikaner. It offers advice and consultancies in diseases diagnostics, management and conducts front line farmer-field demonstrations and participation in farmers’ fairs and has a well-staffed Plant Health Clinic.
|Fungal pathology||Biochemical studies|
|Biological control||Molecular plant pathology|
|Disease diagnosis||Kisan Melas/Diwas with KVKS|
|Mass production of bio agents training||Master Trainer|
|Field demonstrations with KVKS|